Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why Blog?

When I was a little girl, my parents would haul us down to Florida a couple of times a year to visit our grandparents. I think my siblings were not really into the idea of the long drive. I had something special waiting for me. Every time we visited my grandfather would walk me around his garden for a private tour. He knew every name(common and Latin) for his hundreds of rose varieties. It was amazing to me. I listened with great interest and watched his face light up as he told me the special qualities of each flower.

Grandpa would also take me to the local nursery with him. He was the "Norm" of the nursery. People would collect around him as he walked through the aisles with little me in tow. I still feel his presence when I walk through flower nurseries and in my own garden. It's so comforting. Grandpa would also cut and create bouquets of flowers to take to nursing homes and friends. Somehow I knew at that young age what a gift this act was. The gift of giving something away that he nurtured and loved.

In my own garden, I only have one rose bush. I don't even touch it. It is amazingly beautiful and thrives. I'm pretty sure I know who tends to those blossoms. It is currently in full bloom.

I now understand what my Grandpa found in his garden. A sense of peace. Watching the soil break open to give life from a seed. It is such a gift. I find such satisfaction in harvesting vegetables and flowers to enjoy in our home and to share with friends. Everything comes full circle.

There is so much that I learn on a daily basis from being in the garden. The lessons are both practical and spiritual.
That is why I want to share my garden with you.
Grow in Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment