Thursday, May 13, 2010

Drop It Like It's Hot


I may have been over zealous in the pepper department this year. I think that I often forget we are a family of 2. We have 6 Jalapeno plants, 1 Garden Salsa Pepper plant, 6 Banana Pepper plants, 3 Red Chili Pepper, 3 Red Bells, 3 Yellow Bells, and 3 Green Bells. They are all blooming and the little peppers are beginning to fruit!

I have to say that peppers are another very easy plant to grow. They are virtually indestructible. They crave warm weather and a long growing season. I think we have that pretty covered here in the South. I have read about pepper caterpillars and grubs but I have never seen one. Of course, now that I wrote that...the pests are probably swarming in. I had a little pepper 'happy accident'. I found out that Basil and Peppers are good companion plants. They really seem to be taking off together.

I'm going to be looking for ways to use all of these different varieties. Salsas are a no brainer. I'm thinking of some funky pepper pickling. Say that three times real fast. Funky Pepper Pickling...
Share with me your favorite pepper recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Smoke some of those jalapenos! Mmmmm, chipolte. When I first read the "happy accident" (it being just after 6 am here)I thought the poor dog had eaten a jalapeno plant. More coffee?

    ReplyDelete