Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sweet Potatoes

Last year Matt's Aunt Pam gave me some sweet potato slips. I never knew growing anything could be so easy. I literally planted them in the ground and forgot about them for over 3 months. I was so delighted when I began harvesting them. They were gorgeous! A few weeks later we were enjoying the best sweets I have ever had!

This year I decided to make my own sweet slips. I did a little research and it all seems pretty easy!

I started with two certified organic sweet potatoes that I had saved from my produce delivery. I used two old mason jars and filled them half way with water. I stuck the sweets with four tooth picks so that they could be propped on top of the mason rim and partly submerged. About 10 weeks later I had some real strong slips growing off the potatoes.

I then snapped the slips off when they were about 6" tall. I left the potatoes in the water because there are more slips still growing. I placed the removed slips into a reused salsa jar with some water where they could grow roots for a few days.

Today I planted the first 6 slips into a new potato bed. I planted about 2/3 of each slip under ground and left 1/3 above. As the vine grows, I will continue to cover the slips.

Eventually I will add a trellis to just let the vine run off. In about 3 months....sweet potato goodness will be all mine! Bwahahahahha!


No comments:

Post a Comment