Thursday, May 20, 2010

Give Me Some Sugar!

MMMMMMMMMM.... Sugar Snap Peas. Does anybody not like sugar snap peas? And if so, are your taste buds fried off?

I planted sugar snaps in three intervals starting back in March. They had the cover of a make shift greenhouse to help them get started. Once a week for three weeks I would press more seeds into the ground. They only need about 1.5"-2" of spacing. I guess they like the company?

Like most peas, sugar snaps are a cool weather crop. You can plant them as early as 2-4 weeks before the last frost. If you missed getting them in this Spring, do not fret! You get a second chance in the Fall. Plant seeds alternatively 6-8 weeks before the first Fall frost date. They like a lot of nitrogen in the soil. I used some of our grass clippings and mixed that directly into the soil.

The snaps took off fast and they nearly tore down the trellis I built for them. I had to add an 'extension' to the trellis a couple of weeks ago because they were reaching for the sky and falling over from the weight of the peas. Apparently they can grow to 6' tall. I somehow missed that tidbit of information.

The snap peas have slowly been disappearing. I can't help but pull them straight off of the vine every time I come into the garden to work. I handed one to Matt last week and he commented that it reminded him of his childhood. His folks had a garden when he was a kid and I could tell by the smile on his face it is a very positive memory.

I can't wait to cook these up with a little butter! Or, boil them up and saute them with mushrooms and olive oil. Yummy! That is ...if they make it to the pan :)

1 comment:

  1. I think they're best right off the vine!
    And, I'm glad Matt remembers those days.

    Pegi

    ReplyDelete