Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is this? A white carrot?

"What is this? Is it a white carrot? I didn't know we sold this."
This is usually what I hear from the super market clerk whenever I purchase daikon. A manager is called over to hunt down the strange root in the produce section. I get the same blank stare when I buy a watermelon radish.

I was excited to see daikon seeds in the heirloom seed catalog this year. I haven't ever really considered growing some of the less famous varieties but I couldn't wait to try. The seeds went in early March under the cover of our 'greenhouse'. They sprouted quickly, just like my regular radish varieties.

A little lesson learned: I planted them using the square foot garden measurements for regular radish, which is 16 per square. I wasn't considering the rather large size that daikon can grow to. Mine ended up being smaller as a result but it's okay. Sometimes, you have to learn these things as you go or grow. We have about 5 dozen that we are harvesting over the next few weeks.

Daikon can be used raw or cooked. I personally prefer it raw in salads. I don't eat raw onion and find that I like radish as a substitute. I have also read that you can use the greens just like turnip greens. We will have to give that a try.

Here is a recipe for Pickled Daikon and Carrots:
(Makes 6 servings)

Ingredients:
1/2 pound daikon 
1 carrot 
1 tablespoon canning salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)


Directions:
Wash, peel and shred daikon and carrots. Put vegetables in a bowl, sprinkle on the salt and mix well. Let stand for 30 minutes. 

Drain off water and squeeze vegetables as dry as possible. 

In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar and pepper flakes. 

Place in a clean quart-size jar and refrigerate overnight or 6-8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment