Monday, June 28, 2010

Potato Gamble

Excuse me for the delay on posting again. The heat here in NC has been stupid. We have had 15 days straight of high 90s weather. Did I mention it is only June? So, my time in the garden has been basically to do drive by waterings and weedings. I think some of the squash plants are suffering from the heat but the tomatoes are lovvvvvving it.

What I really wanted to share today was my sudo surprise crop of potatoes. In early Spring I had a organic produce delivery coming that was bringing us potatoes every two weeks. I couldn't keep up with that many potatoes in such a short period of time. A few of the potatoes began to sprout and I just kind of ignored the science experiment for a while. Eventually I knew I had to either chuck them or plant them.

I haven't tried planting organic potatoes from my purchased produce. I have only used slips that I purchased. The same goes for sweet potatoes (until this year :). Everything I have read said that planting ones from stores or farmers market are a gamble. Well, I guess I should go to Vegas!

Today I pulled a couple of the plants that were beginning to wilt. I found a small happy crop of potatoes screaming to get out of the boiling soil. I love harvesting potatoes. It is so fun to drive the pitch fork into the soil, turn it over and see potatoes rolling out everywhere. It feels like a archaeological excavation. Now I have more room for sweet potatoes.

By the way, those sweet potatoes that I was using to grow my own slips...I'm still harvesting slips off those. I think I have more than 20 from each potato. I had to start giving them away because I didn't have enough room in my garden. So, save those organic spuds that didn't make it to your plate. Plant them and see what happens. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment