Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Collard Greens

Over the last few weeks I have been harvesting some of the collard greens out of our garden. I have found that I can trim the outside leaves and the plant will keep growing new ones. Bonus!


Last night I went with a southern meal. Mac n Cheese, Collard Greens, and Sauteed Squash. The summer squash was also from the garden. Matt has been working hard trimming trees in the yard and I wanted to reward him with his favorite Mac n Cheese. The collards went great with this combo!


I think that a lot of folks turn their nose at collards. Not sure why really. Maybe it's the idea of hog jaw or bacon in them? Well, I don't use any swine in mine. Here is how I rock my collards...


- Clean and trim about 1lb of Collard Greens
- Chop one Vidalia onion
- mince 2 gloves of garlic
- Measure out 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- Measure out 2 cups organic vegetable broth (or you can use beef or chicken broth if you want)


Turn stove top on low heat and dig out a pot with a lid. Sprinkle in about 2 tlbs of olive oil. Throw in onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 2 minutes or until onions are a golden color. Toss in Collard Greens and stir for about 1 minute till they wilt down to half their size. Pour in Vegetable broth and give a good stir. Simmer for about 45 minutes. You can add pepper and salt if you like to but I don't. Also, some folks like to splash a little white vinegar on them when they are done. It's up to you.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have found mixing fresh spinach with the collards is very tasty too. Funny I have fixed them the same way using chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of collards in my fridge. I'll have to try the broth idea. We have some summer squash too, and it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete