Monday, August 30, 2010

Funky Compost

Yesterday was a work day in the garden. Not much harvesting going on. A late Summer garden can be a sad place. We still are getting lots of peppers, basil and tomatoes. I lost all of my butternut and acorn squash to weevils. I don't like those little bugs. Weevils chew through vines and eat up leaves very quickly. They will get to meet up with some diatomaceous earth later today. It's a natural pest control made from hard shell algae.


I'm a little bit late on getting some of my Fall plants in. We just hosted a weekend long party at a Summer Camp with about 150 people. So... we were a bit busy. Pretty good excuse eh? The Cucumber Harp has finished it's Summer duty and is moving on to Sugar Snap Harp Fall duty. I did dump out the compost tumbler. All of this Summer's kitchen compost made a soupy wheel barrow full of goodness. It had the smell of loose stool. Yummy!

I found myself gagging as I spread it throughout all of the veggie beds. Next, I raked and turned the soil over. I will let the soil rest for a few days and then sow some seeds. Really, I need to let my own body rest a few days. I was feeling the work last night as my round ligaments kept spasming. Fun!


Our kitchen window is still full of tomatoes. These maters will probably end up in a sauce for storage. I can't seem to handle any more tomatoes right now.  But, warm pasta sauce in the Winter sounds good. Wait! I don't want to jump ahead to Winter yet...I have a feeling it's going to be a nice Fall season!

No comments:

Post a Comment