Monday, June 4, 2012

June Bounty

It's June! Did you notice?

Time slips away and it is beginning to bother me how fast things are moving. In my new 'slow' pace life I still feel like my hair is being blown sideways with the velocity of time. I keep getting reminders that life is fragile. Some of the reminders are in the form of sad news. So I'm making an effort to put on the brakes!


The best place to reflect on everything swirling around our farm life is in the garden. I can mindlessly pluck weeds, hill rows, water, and just stroll around looking at the bounty unfolding.  My favorite time to walk the gardens is at sunset when the whole farm is quiet. The hard work in March preparing the soil and plotting has proven it's worth. Plants are leaping for the sky and providing us food.

Our meals have become so interesting lately. I spend a lot less money at the market now. We use staples of beans, rice, and quinoa coupled with venison from the freezer and veggies from the garden. I even used sweet potatoes last night (still) from last Fall's harvest. We have endless options each day. I forget how much I miss fresh herbs till we are throwing them into everything. This isn't new for us. We have been growing food at a smaller scale for years. But now the scale is larger and so is our enthusiasm.

The hens and roosters are added entertainment. over the last few days the roosters have started to try out their voices. At first I thought they were hurt and I would run over to see what was wrong. They are pre-teens with scratchy vocals. It is pretty amusing. I also enjoy watching the roos 'front' each other. We are curious to see who will be the dominant male. Being dominant doesn't ensure your preservation on this farm. We are looking for personality and good manners.


One roo in particular has caught my eye. He is the one I photographed after the coop was finished perched right at the door of the coop. He is observant and calm. I enjoy how he walks up to me and then just stares and listens. I'm pretty sure he will be with us a long time.

The hens fit every stereotype you can imagine. They stick together and seem to be gossiping about you when you walk by. The hens have incredibly fluffy butts. I feel like I could dust the house with one of them if only they would allow that kind of handling. I'm looking forward to having fresh eggs soon. They need roosting boxes put in by the end of July.


Jasper is 16 months old now. He is ALL farm boy. Tractors, chickens and mud 24/7. He likes to frequent the strawberry patch and blueberry bushes. I'm enjoying walking with him everywhere (so is my back!). He is a mountain walking pro. Matt and I are impressed when he walks up the road with us and I know he will be able to hike any trail with us in the winter.

Jasper is also enormously spoiled to have grandparents around every week. He gets very excited whenever a grandparent rides by the cabin. Sometimes he completely freaks out if they don't stop to stay hello. He has no idea how lucky he is. I wish I had had time like that with grandparents. Just last night, I was missing my grandfather and wishing he was here. I can't imagine the bond that Jasper is forming with them. They will be his full time neighbors in a matter of months! Matt and I appreciate the extra hands. It is sometimes a struggle to figure out how to manage this place with a toddler. Our folks have allowed us time to take care of business and let our hair down. Just last Friday Jasper slept over with his 'Ahhh' and 'DatDad' so we could hang out after the Mermaid Parade. The what? That's right. Welcome to Marshall.

This community has been very welcoming. Marshall is full of surprises. I'm not sure what I expected but this has been a very easy move as far as community. Matt and I feel very blessed to have met such wonderful like minded people. We might not have Indian food (oh darn!) or Thai food (okay, I'm really bummed about that one) but we can always call a neighbor for homegrown sausage and a side of greens. Matt still has poker night and I get out with the Marshall ladies too. I think it is time for another Hot Springs night now that I think of it.

And a small plug... We have daylilies for sale! Come see us and the gorgeous blooms while they last. The season is short but mighty!

4 comments:

  1. We finally figured out that we have five roosters among our meat birds. It's not fun when they're trying out their voices at 5 in the morning. They don't have too much longer. Next week they'll be in our freezer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have 7 roos and we will keep 1. We will also have to knock off about 9 hens for our freezer. Not really looking forward to my first experience with that but I am looking forward to having a full freezer of homegrown birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like heaven. Can't wait to be grandparents #3.
    Only 13 more days till we leave - should be up there the 28th. Stopping in Savannah, of course.

    ReplyDelete