Sunday, February 27, 2011

Veggie Garden Plans

I'm pretty excited about this year's vegetable garden. Why? For many reasons. First of all, it will be on our new farm. I have been 'farming' my little city lot for years now but I have had a lot of limitations. The learning experience has been invaluable but I'm ready to spread my seed or wings? Second, besides a few days of extra support from Matt, this will be the first time I get to garden with other people on a more frequent basis. I'm excited that my Mother and Matt's Mother will be hunched over with me planting, tending, and harvesting food. Third, being a new Mother, I am even more conscious about the role food plays into my family's health. Growing our own food gives us more control over what goes into our bodies. Let's face it, I like control :) I'm excited that little Jasper will grow up understanding veggies come from the garden and not the produce aisle.


Now the planning begins. The previous owner of the farm had a small vegetable garden directly behind the greenhouse. It looks like a very convenient location.  We also need to do some major clean up in the greenhouse. The current plan is to clean out that old garden location and add to the rows she already started. The farm was organically tended for years. I'm confident that the soil is still in good shape and pesticide free. 








My first step is to confirm what we want to grow. Then we have to define a garden plan and sowing/planting schedule. Finally, we have to purchase seed and any starter plants we aren't comfortable growing from seed. I know this year will be a major learning experience. A good garden diary will prove to be crucial and helpful in subsequent years. I'm feeling that with the added support of family, it is going to be a fabulous garden.


So far, this is our wish list for the garden:
Kale
Collard Greens
Lettuce (Variety)
Onions
Spinach
Broccoli
Sugar Snap Peas
Bush Beans
Sweet Potato
Potato  (Variety)
Beets
Carrots
Radish  (Variety)
Tomato  (Variety)
Pepper   (Variety)
Melons  (Variety)
Summer Squash  (Variety)
Winter Squash  (Variety)
Cucumber  (Variety)
Corn - I have had bad luck at corn but I'm hoping that the we can overcome my losing streak.
Herbs  (Culinary and Medicinal Variety) 

Okra
Asparagus (Buying 1 year crowns from the extension service)
Garlic


There is also mention of adding to the existing fruit trees and starting with a 1/8 acre of hops! Can you taste the beer? Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment